More Artists & Activities for Grand Opening Announced!
Grand Opening of KEXP’s New Home at Seattle Center, Saturday, April 16 from noon to 9:00 p.m. will kick off with a series of short, solo performances by local artists, including:
- Grace Love
- Sera Cahoone
- Mark Pickerel
In addition, we’ve added a full band performance from another great local act to the bill: Car Seat Headrest.
These artists join the previously announced acts playing inside and out: Bob Mould, Strand of Oaks, Hey Marseilles, Deep Sea Diver, and Samaris. (See below for complete schedule of day’s programming.)
Stay tuned, we’ll be announcing one more headlining act on Friday, April 15.
In addition to free tours of the New Home every 15 minutes, and the previously announced “Inside the Music of KEXP” interactive installation, powered by Microsoft, KEXP’s new Seattle Center neighbors have plenty of activities for music lovers like you planned for Grand Opening weekend:
- Pacific Science Center is hosting a KEXP laser light show, featuring DJ Riz, at 8:00 p.m. on Saturday;
- Vera Project will have free performances by Beverly Crusher and Charms during the day Saturday, and a ticketed show (presented with Wo’ Pop) with Algerian desert rock sextet Imarhan in the evening;
- SIFF has events all weekend, including a screening of Storefront Hitchcock on Thursday and the SYNC Music Video festival on Friday, both at SIFF Cinema Uptown theater.
- The SIFF Film Center (next to Vera Project) will be open and free to the public during the day Saturday, showing highlights from its extensive collection of Seattle music videos;
- Teatro ZinZanni contortionist & hula-hoop artist Vita Radionova will also be performing at Grand Opening.
On the refreshments tip, the La Marzocco café & showroom in the Gathering Space will be open for business, and spotlighting Stumptown Coffee as the first of its “Roasters In Residence” series. There will also be a beer garden in collaboration with Redhook, with proceeds to benefit KEXP. Feeling peckish? Enjoy Greek fare from Athena’s Food Truck, or pick up Molly Moon’s special “Cheryl Waters Middae Sundae” (vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, candied hazelnuts, whipped cream and a cherry).
A number of souvenirs will be available for purchase at Grand Opening, including the Theo Chocolate KEXP Sound Bar, 70-percent dark chocolate and locally sourced sea salt (organic, vegan, fair trade). And look for details about our two Record Store Day titles next week. We’ll also be selling six different screen prints commemorating the big day, created in partnership with the Vera Project. Check out Barry Blankenship‘s awesome Strand of Oaks Grand Opening poster below!
KEXP New Home Grand Opening Schedule for Saturday, April 16:
Noon – Short solo sets by Grace Love, Sera Cahoone, Mark Pickerel, DoNormaal (Gathering Space)
12:30 p.m. – Strand of Oaks (Gathering Space)
1:30 p.m. – Interview with King County Council Member Joe McDermott (Gathering Space)
2:00 p.m. – Vita Radionova from Teatro Zinzanni (Gathering Space)
2:20 p.m. – Interview with Seattle City Council Member Sally Bagshaw, Representing District 7 (Gathering Space)
3:00 p.m. – TBA (Courtyard)
3:40 p.m. – Samaris (Gathering Space)
4:40 p.m. – Special guests from Cornish College of the Arts (Gathering Space)
5:00 p.m. – Bob Mould (Courtyard)
6:30 p.m. – Hey Marseilles (Gathering Space)
7:10 p.m. – Deep Sea Diver (Courtyard)
8:30 p.m. – Car Seat Headrest (Gathering Space)
All live performances will be broadcast on KEXP 90.3 FM Seattle and KEXP.ORG